InfluenzaWorking together for a healthier tomorrow!
Director of Personal Health
1025 Memorial Drive
Oakland, MD 21550
28 Hershberger Lane
Grantsville, MD 21536
Hours of Operation:
Mon. – Fri. 8:00am – 5:00pm
Seasonal Influenza (or common flu) is a respiratory illness that can be transmitted person to person. Most people have some immunity, and a vaccine is available.
For additional information about influenza vaccinations call the Flu Information Hotline: (301) 334-7697 or (301)-895-3113
2017 Community Vaccination Schedule:
We will bill Medicare Part B and private insurance companies. Be sure to bring your Medicare card and/or insurance card so we can bill your insurance carrier. There will be NO out-of-pocket costs for influenza vaccine.
|Garrett County Health Department (Oakland)||October 12, 2017 (Thursday)||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Friendsville Senior Center||October 18, 2017 (Wednesday)||11 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
|Garrett County Health Department (Grantsville)||October 20, 2017 (Friday)||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Kitzmiller Senior Center||October 25, 2017 (Wednesday)||11 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
|Garrett County Health Department (Oakland)||October 27, 2017 (Friday)||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Swanton Senior Center||October 30 2017 (Monday)||11 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
|Bloomington Fire Hall||October 30, 2017 (Monday)||3 p.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Garrett County Health Department (Oakland)||November 9, 2017 (Thursday)||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
|Garrett County Health Department (Grantsville)||November 17, 2017 (Friday)||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
Pneumonia vaccines will be available at these clinics for only those with Medicare Part B. Other persons who want pneumonia vaccine should call 301 334-7770 or 301 895-5355 to schedule an appointment at the health department.
Elementary School Influenza Vaccination Clinics will not be held at any elementary school this flu season. Students are encouraged to attend one of the health department clinics, see their family doctor or a local pharmacy to get the vaccine this year.
School Located Influenza Clinics for Garrett County Middle and High School Students
The Garrett County Health Department and Garrett County Public School System are offering flu shots this fall to all medically eligible middle and high school students who give written parental consent. The Middle and High School Influenza Parent Packet consists of a letter sent home to parents with the scheduled date for each school, a consent form for each student, a Influenza Vaccine Information Sheet. This will be sent home with the students on on September 22nd or 23rd.
The CDC recommends an annual flu vaccine for EVERYONE over six months of age.
- Key Facts About Seasonal Influenza (Q&A)
- Flu Vaccine (Q&A)
- How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? (Q&A)
- The Flu Shot (Q&A)
- Influenza Vaccine Information Statement: Inactivated (Shot)
- Thimerosal in Seasonal Vaccine (Q&A)
- Seasonal Flu and Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS) (Q&A)
- Vaccine Selection for the 2017-18 Influenza Season
Flu Prevention and Treatment:
- Preventing the Flu
- When to Use Antiviral Drugs for the Flu
- What You Should Know About Flu Antiviral Drugs
- Antiviral Agents for Seasonal Influenza: Information for Health Professionals
Vaccination Resources For Healthcare Professionals:
- 2017-18 Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
- Questions and Answers: The Disease
- Infection Control Guidance for Preventing and Controlling Influenza in Acute Care Facilities
- Infection Control Measures for Prevention and Control of Influenza in Long Term Care Facilities
- Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities
- 2017-18 Influenza Vaccine Dosage Chart
- Guide to Determine Influenza Vaccine Dosage for children 6 months through 8 years of age
Vaccination Resources for Schools and Daycare Providers